- Aftereffects of Drinking Alcohol
- Hangovers and Hydration
- The PHENOMTM Coconut Water Difference
Aftereffects of Drinking Alcohol
After you drink a lot of alcohol, you may experience a hangover. A hangover, formally called veisalgia, describes the negative aftereffects of intoxication.
These aftereffects may include:
However, it’s not just alcohol consumption that causes these symptoms. Instead, alcohol consumption causes your body to become dehydrated quickly, thereby causing these painful symptoms.
When you drink alcohol, it affects the function of your pituitary gland by stopping the production of your anti-diuretic hormone, vasopressin. Without vasopressin, your body expels all of your consumed liquids rather than allowing your organs and cells to absorb them.
In addition to expelling your water supply, your body also expels essential electrolytes like potassium and sodium and necessary carbohydrates like glycogen. The depletion of these electrolytes can result in headache, nausea and other symptoms associated with a hangover, and a depletion of glycogen can result in fatigue and weakness.
Fatigue is also due to your body’s increased production of glutamine after drinking alcohol. Glutamine decreases your ability to sleep deeply, so even if you sleep several hours after intoxication, you will probably still wake up tired.
Dehydration due to alcohol also causes your thirsty organs to steal water from your brain. This causes your brain to shrink, making its membranes tighten and pull, causing additional head pain during a hangover.
Experiencing a hangover is pretty unpleasant, and will probably make you want to give up alcohol for good. Getting rehydrated is key when you have a hangover.
Dehydration prior to drinking promotes and worsens a hangover. That said, hydrating doesn’t simply mean drinking water. While drinking water is excellent for you, your body also needs essential electrolytes in order to properly hydrate.
Coconut water is an excellent, super hydrating alternative to water because it’s rich in electrolytes. Coconut water is especially rich in potassium and sodium, which your body requires when you drink alcohol. Coconut water also contains plenty of B vitamins to boost your metabolism and vitamin C to boost your immunity. In addition to being an anti-hangover drink, coconut water can also be consumed to get rid of a hangover naturally.
Simple hangover preventatives include:
- Eating prior to drinking alcohol
- Getting enough rest prior to drinking alcohol
- Avoiding alcohol altogether if you are in poor health
Now that you know what a hangover is and how coconut water helps, read on to learn about the additional benefits that PHENOMTM Coconut Water provides.
The PHENOMTM Coconut Water Difference
PHENOMTM Coconut Water is a revolutionary new line of coconut water products developed jointly by GNC, the leader in nutrition, and PepsiCo, the leader in beverages.
PHENOMTM is a breakthrough in coconut water beverages because it features formulas “boosted” with GNC’s premium vitamins. It takes the refreshing water from deep within the coconut, and adds nourishing vitamins and replenishing electrolytes for “PHENOMenally” healthy hydration.
PHENOMTM Coconut Water is available in 7 refreshing varieties, including:
- PHENOMTM HYDRO, an unflavored 100% natural coconut water enhanced with an electrolyte boost that promotes rapid hydration.
- PHENOMTM MEGA V, a 100% natural coconut water beverage fortified with premium vitamins and minerals to support health and well-being, including 100% of the RDA of Vitamin C plus Calcium, Vitamin B, and more. MEGA V is also available in three flavor variants - Unflavored, Orange Guava Passion, and Pineapple Punch.
- PHENOMTM ANTIOX, a 100% natural coconut water beverage boosted with antioxidants to help protect against cell damage, and fortified with premium vitamins and minerals to support health and well-being, including 150% of the RDA of Vitamin C plus Calcium, Vitamin B, and more. ANTIOX is available in Blueberry Pomme flavor.
- PHENOMTM ENERGY, a 100% natural coconut water beverage enhanced with B vitamins for energy production and caffeine and other energizing ingredients to boost physical energy metabolism. ENERGY is fortified with premium ingredients to support health and well-being, including 100% of the RDA of Vitamin C, Vitamin B-12, and Niacin plus Calcium, Vitamin E, and more. ENERGY is available in two flavors - Acai Peach and Lemon Mojito.
And just like traditional coconut water, PHENOMTM contains no artificial flavors, preservatives or added sugars, is low in calories, contains zero cholesterol, and can provide an excellent way to avoid a hangover.