A hangover describes the painful aftereffects of drinking alcohol such as headache, fatigue, weakness, and/or overall self-doubt.
Read on to learn more about hangovers and one of the best ways to rehydrate when you have a hangover.
- What are the Causes of a Hangover?
- What is the Best Thing for Rehydrating when you have a Hangover?
- How can PHENOMTM Coconut Water Rehydrate When You Have a Hangover?
What are the Causes of a Hangover?
A hangover occurs after drinking a lot of alcohol. When you drink alcohol, it metabolizes quickly in your body, entering your bloodstream and causing your pituitary gland to stop the production of vasopressin.
Vasopressin is an anti-diuretic hormone, and without it, your body expels the majority of liquids you consume, rather than absorbing them. In fact, drinking 250 ml of alcohol can cause your body to expel about 800 ml of liquid, thereby making you become dehydrated quickly.
The expelled liquids contain vital electrolytes like potassium and sodium. Losing these nutrients disturbs muscle, nerve, and overall cellular function. In addition, a depletion of potassium and sodium can result in headaches, nausea, and other hangover related symptoms.
Alcohol also causes the glycogen in your liver to break down. Glycogen is an essential carbohydrate that, while drinking, is turned into glucose and expelled from your body. The absence of glycogen causes fatigue and weakness associated with a hangover.
Fatigue is also, in part, due to your body’s increased production of glutamine after drinking alcohol. Glutamine decreases your ability to sleep deeply, so even if you sleep several hours after intoxication, you will probably still wake up tired.
Dehydration due to alcohol also causes your thirsty organs to steal water from your brain. This causes your brain to decrease in size, making your brain’s membranes tighten and pull, causing additional head pain during a hangover.
Now that you know that dehydration is the root of your hangover pains, the best thing to do to relieve a hangover is to rehydrate. It’s also important to keep in mind that rehydrating also means replenishing your body’s electrolyte content.
So, instead of reaching for the tap, grab an electrolyte-rich beverage.
What’s an electrolyte-rich beverage?
An electrolyte-rich beverage is any isotonic beverage that replaces fluids and minerals that your body loses during intoxication or physical activity. Isotonic beverages may include sports drinks, but unfortunately, sports drinks are also high in calories, sugars, and additives.
Coconut water provides your body with more essential electrolytes like potassium than any sports drink. Best of all, coconut water is low in calories, is fat-free, and contains zero additives.
Read on to learn more about the newest varieties of coconut water from PHENOMTM.
How can PHENOMTM Coconut Water Provide Additional Hangover Relief?
During a hangover, your body may need an extra boost in addition to the electrolytes and vitamins found naturally in coconut water. PPHENOMTM Coconut Water provides your body with that extra boost of vitamins, antioxidants or energy, making PHENOMTM one of the best things for hangover treatment.
PHENOMTM Coconut Water is a revolutionary new line of coconut water products developed jointly by GNC, the leader in nutrition and PepsiCo, the leader in beverages.
PHENOMTM is available in 7 refreshing varieties, including:
- PHENOM™ HYDRO, an unflavored 100% natural coconut water enhanced with an electrolyte boost that promotes rapid hydration.
- PHENOM™ MEGA V, a 100% natural coconut water beverage fortified with premium vitamins and minerals to support health and well-being, including 100% of the RDA of Vitamin C plus Calcium, Vitamin B, and more. MEGA V is also available in three flavor variants - Unflavored, Orange Guava Passion, and Pineapple Punch.
- PHENOM™ ANTIOX, a 100% natural coconut water beverage boosted with antioxidants to help protect against cell damage, and fortified with premium vitamins and minerals to support health and well-being, including 150% of the RDA of Vitamin C plus Calcium, Vitamin B, and more. ANTIOX is available in Blueberry Pomme flavor.
- PHENOM™ ENERGY, a 100% natural coconut water beverage enhanced with B vitamins for energy production and caffeine and other energizing ingredients to boost physical energy metabolism. ENERGY is fortified with premium ingredients to support health and well-being, including 100% of the RDA of Vitamin C, Vitamin B-12, and Niacin plus Calcium, Vitamin E, and more. ENERGY is available in two flavors - Acai Peach and Lemon Mojito.
And just like traditional coconut water, PHENOMTM contains no artificial flavors, preservatives or added sugars, is low in calories, and contains zero cholesterol.
How do you rehydrate when you have a hangover? Tell us below!